Friday, April 13, 2012

Another Art Form

My sister, ChrisJ, is quite an accomplished artist, and she uses many forms and mediums of art to express her creativity. When I went to her blog just now to pick up the link to post here, so that you can enjoy her art, I was amazed!  She has posted many since the last time I was there, and I am so impressed with her latest work.  You can find her art gallery here, but don't forget to come back here and see my latest attempt!!

So besides all her paintings and drawings and ATC's (Art Trading Cards), and along with Inchies and Twinchies (tiny art created on 1" or 2" square cards, she has now discovered Celtic Knots.

She recently posted her Celtic Knot creation and gave instructions as to how to create one for ourselves. She was once a teacher (once a teacher, always a teacher!), so her directions were very easy to follow.

This is her knot (if she has already added a more recent post to her blog you will need to go back to the one posted on April 10th). You can also discover there a bit of interesting information about the origin of Celtic Knots. Remember, a true Celtic Knot seems to have no beginning or end.

This is my first attempt based on her instructions:


Then I took a photocopy of it and decided to paint it so that you can't see the guidelines I used:



I am quite pleased with my first attempts.

It's amazing to see, if you google "Celtic Knots" just how many variations there are; some of them incredibly intricate and complicated.

I challenge my fellow bloggers to try the above knot - it isn't anywhere near as complicated as it looks, especially if you follow ChrisJ's simple, step-by-step instructions.

Once we have really got the hang of these knots, there is another art form coming up - stay tuned!!

3 comments:

  1. It is much harder than it looks, your Celtic weaving looks very real. Another art form? I wonder what you will come up with next.
    Have you ever made a Mobius strip? that can be formed into a sort of Celtic knot in real life. It has only one side and one edge but is a three dimensional object. In its simplest form it is just a strip of paper twisted and glued to form a loop, but I have seen really complex ones that boggle the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really impressive. I tried celtic knots once but I gave up because I got too confused. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your encouragement AJ!

    Snafu, I looked up that Mobius strip - that is WAY over my head. I don't even get the fact that it is one-sided - looks like two to me!

    ReplyDelete