Saturday, October 8, 2011

There are hoarders, and then there are HOARDERS!

My trip to the UK to spend time with cousin snafu and his TBH, along with some cousins second and third removed, would be but a dim memory without photos. And fortunately, snafu -- the great photographer that he is, has posted a great number of photos taken during our 10 days together, along with some terrific narration here (you may have to go back a couple of posts to find the one titled "Kaybee's Visit.') It's well worth reading to get a picture of all we packed into those 10 days...and a great remembrance for me.


The most comfortable home where I was pleasantly hosted for 10 days

Here, I would like to add some of my own perspective and since there was one sight that demanded more photos than any other, I though I would start with it -- Snowshill Manor. near Broadway, in the beautifully picturesque Cotswolds.





Snowshill Manor, by snafu
Charles Wade, who was the owner of Snowshill Manor, was a treasure-seeker who loved buying and restoring beautifully made objects. His family motto was 'Let nothing perish', and he spent his inherited wealth doing just that, amassing a spectacular collection of everyday and extraordinary objects from across the globe. He restored the ancient Cotswold manor house specifically to display these unlikely treasures. Laid out with creative flair, just as Mr Wade intended, the Manor is literally packed to the rafters with thousands of unusual objects – from tiny toys to splendid suits of Samurai armour. The Manor is surrounded by an equally characterful hand-crafted terraced garden.

There are 22,000 items, plus a 2000 piece costume collection. Wade believed that every object was invested with the spirit of the craftsman and the age in which it was created. He raised even everyday functional objects like butter stamps, cow bells and locks to the status traditionally given to paintings and sculpture.

So the visitor to Snowshill can view clocks, bicycles, automatons, children's toys and even 26 suits of Samurai armour. Wade loved colour and, after collecting many examples of early English craftsmanship, he began to look to the Middle and Far East for objects using a bright and imaginative colours.
(gleaned from www.nationaltrust.org.uk/snowshillmanor/)

This describes Charles Wade's journey to collecting:




 Viewing 22,000 items is quite overwhelming!  But the following caught my attention (it helps to click on the image to enlarge it):

A rather uncomfortable-looking baby carriage

A fascinating collection of ancient bicycles



A quaint Noah's Ark, with Mr. and Mrs. Noah at the front door

The art of 'quilling.'  
Every part of the design is created by rolling narrow strips of coloured and metallic paper into various and sundry shapes and sizes. This work of art was apparently created by a nun in her spare time! The photo doesn't do it justice - it is stunning!


One of my favourites -
Wade's pen drawings, done on old playing cards and then cut out.
 Must try that sometime!

A knight in shining armour -- suspiciously looking like snafu?
 And finally, some lovely views in and around the gardens:








Ready to reap a bountiful harvest of fruit









And finally, a  pastoral scene that, for me, typifies the English countryside!

Snafu and TBH -- you couldn't have chosen a more appropriate location to bring me the greatest pleasure.

Thank you! 
 

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like a place that you could spend a week or more exploring. I've seen a very small example of quilling and it is exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must wear armour more often, it makes me look quite young.
    Glad you liked our choice Kaybee, but it is overwhelming with so much to look at. One of my favourites are the intricate carvings in animal bone made by Napolionic prisoners of war, using the bones left from their food rations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you would love Snowshill Manor, ChrisJ - it is the ultimate museum!

    Snafu, it really does deserve a number of return visits, But I would love to be there when no-one else is. I found it a bit annoying having to move on to another room before I was ready to, or trying to peer over other people's shoulders. Some exhibits I could have spent many minutes examining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would want to spend hours at a place like that. Lovely pictures. Do I gather from your comment that it was a tour led visit? - I'm afraid that would so frustrate me.

    That can't be Snafu? Surely his handsome and dashing son? ;-D x

    ReplyDelete