Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fall is......well, falling!

I guess my UK followers call it autumn, but I have always thought fall was the perfect name for this time of the year...and it is probably my most favourite season.

This past week I had the pleasure of driving with a good friend to Orleans, Ontario - just outside Ottawa.We spent four days there, and timed it just right to catch the turning of the leaves. So why did I not pack my camera?  Just have to put it down to old age, I guess - but I was greatly regretting that I didn't have it with me. Photos taken by cell phone are just not the same, but they are better than no photos at all. It took me some time to hunt down the users manual and the little SD card conversion thingy that originally came with the phone when I got home, but finally I managed to retrieve the best of the photo selection. I especially wanted to post them before the snows arrive and fall becomes a distant memory.

Little commentary needed really - just that we were drinking in, and rejoicing in God's beautiful creation over those four days - during a walk along the Ottawa River, and around the conference grounds. Truly refreshing!



It was a chilly, stormy day, but we didn't mind!





There is a deer in the midst of those trees, but my phone camera just couldn't pick it up. One morning, at 7:00am, as I opened the curtains in my room, five lovely deer came sauntering up the hill, one behind the other, and headed to the cherry tree. By the time I pulled out my phone and found the photo app, there was only one deer left - the rest had moved on. There were cherries on the ground under the tree, and apparently the deer make this trek every morning for their breakfast, although I only got to see them once. It was sort of like they were going to McDonalds every day for a cherry pie!
 




This is the actual colour of the leaves - beautiful!





Now I am trying to convince myself that snow can be beautiful, too!


 


3 comments:

  1. Your phone takes mighty good photos! Those leaves look like you placed each one individually. Beautiful photos, Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous piccys, not bad for a cell phone. Number six is very dramatic, those colours and branches against the sky.
    The word autumn came into use around the 16th century, before that this season was called Harvest. Changed perhaps because more people began living in towns than on farms. Maybe if you live in a forest, fall is more appropriate, but it is a bit like calling a mountain with snow on it 'Snowy Mountain' accurate but not very imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was actually surprised, ChrisJ, at the quality of the photos from my phone. At least now I know I can use it for a Kodak moment when I don't have my camera with me!

    Thanks for the explanation of the word, snafu. I still like 'fall' the best!

    It's strange that the leaves had begun to fall in your town when I was there - they have fallen recently in Orleans, but here we are still waiting for the literal 'fall' - green trees everywhere!

    ReplyDelete