Saturday, March 13, 2010

Chapel Street, Flamborough - 1900

Wish I could say that this is my rendition...




It's not!

This is mine. Unfortunately, it doesn't scan well, but in spite of the fact that I didn't have the courage to use colour (pencils or watercolours), I think it didn't turn out too badly.

You can see it better if you click to enlarge it




The biggest problem is that even in the original, the monument doesn't seem to be in the right place, if my memory serves me correctly. I think it should be more in the foreground, at the crossroads. Perhaps one of my many followers can confirm that for me?

Anyway, I do love the picture, and feel quite pleased with my final rendition!

If you were to keep on going ahead, on Chapel Street, off in the distance, you would eventually come to the house we lived in, in the 1950s -- 15 Woodcock Road.  It's still there, and looks virtually the same!

3 comments:

  1. That is brilliantly done! You are right about the memorial. It's in the wrong place in the original. It definitely should be more to the forefront. It was about in line with the old Methodist chapel (the one that is in the original) which is also a little too far back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaybee, you are so talented. Your rendition is beautiful. You are right about the memorial - I wonder if the original artist 'moved it' for aesthetic purposes. I love the sheep; occasionally we see them being conveyed through the villages, but not often now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to you both -- I think it's probably true that the chapel and the memorial were placed where they are to enhance the overall composition.

    I love the sheep too, Elizabeth. I thought they were going to be hard to draw, but they were the easiest. I LOVE this learning process, and it amazes me to see what we can do when we try!

    ReplyDelete