Saturday, May 2, 2009

Home Sweet Home

I had a wonderful time visiting with my sister and her husband in California -- thank you so much, Chris!

I still have great photos to post from my vacation, but I couldn't wait to show you this.


It's always sweet to be home, no matter how great the vacation was. But when I arrived home, I found that we have visitors too.


DOTH (Daughter of The House) tells me they've been here for about a week, and are obviously very pleased with the welcome they've received, as they are sticking around.


Although I must say it wouldn't be my favourite location in which to settle for a while:



You see that round, yellowish thing in the top left-hand corner of the canopy overhanging our patio? It holds a retractable clothes line which I occasionally use for hanging out my laundry on a breezy sunny day.



It now also holds this:



And here's the occupant, who has found herself a home-sweet-home for the next few weeks:



She is definitely "big with child" !



While we are flattered that mom and dad have decided this is a safe location for their family to be born, it does create a bit of a dilemma for us, since we are going in and out to the back garden quite frequently now that the warmer weather is here. Our screen door makes a terrific noise as it closes behind us, and the first time we went out and saw Mrs Robin sitting on the nest, she looked quite terrified -- but didn't budge at all.



So now we are creeping in and out so as not to disturb her too much. But we do hear Mr Robin, each time we come out onto the patio "screech...screech...screeching" a warning to her.



Yesterday, we saw a huge hawk circling way up high overhead. How wise of the robins to build their nest in such a strategic location! It's doubtful the hawk will even see the nest, but if he does, he's unlikely to come that close to the house to rob it.



It seems that robins generally lay 4-5 eggs -- one each day, and then between them Mr and Mrs Robin will incubate them over a period of up to 14 days.



It's going to be a long two weeks -- but what fun, if we get to see the baby robins emerge!

1 comment:

  1. How nice that your robin friends have nested so close to home. We have a pair of a different nature since you left. I'll save it as a surprise on my blog and probably post it on Sunday evening. Seems like people don't post or read blogs much on the weekend.

    ReplyDelete