Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Cat's Meow

Honestly, I'm not bragging. I am just amazed!

When I was in school, I hated art. All my teachers said I was hopeless at it, and on my report cards they made comments like " Needs to try much harder" "She is failing in art" "Unlikely that she will ever make the grade in art" etc, etc.

So for over 50 years (up until just a few months ago) I never attempted to draw anything -- knowing that it was hopeless.
Wow! The power of words, eh?


Then, recently, I saw the picture on this little greeting card, and I thought, "I am sure I can do this!"

And, by George -- I was right!

Honestly, I am not proud -- just amazed at the result, and at how easy it really was. I know it's not perfect. And it's not identical to the original, but it looks like a cat!

I'm grateful, really, as I am convinced that all gifts come from God and I am so thankful that I have discovered this one, even though late in life.

But just think, if I had been encouraged by my teachers all those years ago, I might have been another Rembrandt by now!

This quote by G.K. Chesterton sort of says how I am feeling:

Lying in bed would be an altogether perfect and supreme experience if only one had a colored pencil long enough to draw on the ceiling.

I just want to keep on practising -- trying all different types of drawings to see what else I can do. Ah well -- maybe in my retirement!

Just as an aside, I love this quote:

Surely nothing has to listen to so many stupid remarks as a painting in a museum. (Edmond & Jules de Goncourt)


Finally, click here for a page of "Cat-ch Phrases" -- cat-related idioms, their history and meanings. A fun page with a lovely cat at the bottom that I'd like to try and sketch.


My next project, perhaps?

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!
    That cat is wonderful. I love it!
    Yours I mean!
    Definitely you must try drawing more cats!
    Hugs!
    Al.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is brilliant, Kay. I knew you had that gift somewhere lying dormant. I know how you feel. After thinking all your life,'I can't draw' suddenly you discover you can! When I discovered that gift around fortyish, I couldn't stop drawing. I was afraid it would go away again!

    ReplyDelete