Saturday, May 12, 2012

The Flatiron

So, yesterday was the day of my first cataract surgery.
I think I prefer to call it a "lens implant" - makes me sound a little less 'elderly' somehow, and more like something going into my eye rather than coming out of my eye!

Anyway, it went well. There were about 50 of us lined up in the waiting room like lambs to the slaughter. DOTH, at age 44, was quite happy to be the youngest in the room!
Although we sat for 2.5 hours before I was called (second to last), I was quite impressed with the care and the procedure.

The nurses were very kind, explaining every detail of what was about to happen, and dealing sweetly with any anxiety. Unlike the fellow beside me (some men are such babies), I actually was very much relaxed and at peace throughout the process, and after 20 minutes of someone fiddling around in my eye (I was somewhat sedated) it was all over.
Not quite this easy

The clinic was all the way downtown, and DOTH actually took the long route, right through the centre of downtown Toronto. It was quite an eye-opener (no pun intended) for me, as it has been some time since I have travelled that route, and I enjoyed some long-forgotten sights.
There were many great Kodak moments but, unlike my sister, ChrisJ, I have not yet gotten into the habit of taking my camera with me everywhere I go.

This was one shot, however, I was not about to miss. I managed to get my cell phone out just in time to snap a couple of photos as we approached:


It is one of the most unique views in Toronto, and the old building, set against skyscrapers of the Financial District towering in the background, is apparently one of the most photographed in all of Canada. Bear in mind, UK readers, that Canada is only 144 years old, so for us, this building, built around 1891, I believe, is REALLY old!



It is known as the Flatiron, because of its unique shape - which you can see more clearly in this next shot:

The building's proper name is the Gooderham Building, and it was built by architect David Roberts Jr., at a cost of $18,000, for distiller George Gooderham, son of Gooderham and Worts distillery founder William Gooderham. It was the office of the Gooderham & Worts distillery until 1952 and sold by the Gooderham Estate in 1957.

This was the first shot I took of it, and I just missed getting the CN Tower in the photo too. It would have made a great photo. You can just see it peeking round the left hand corner of the left hand skyscraper, in the above photo.  Below is the shot I got of the Tower just a few minutes later. 


Wondering what The Flatiron building might look like inside, these days?

Here's a short tour:
For more of an inside look, you'll need to arrow down that same page to the link that reads,
"Photos: Inside the Flatiron Building", and you can also read about the present owner of the building and what he plans to do with it, along with a further description of the interior.
He paid over $15 million for it - sure hope he recoups his investment!


Oh, and by the way, I'm reserving judgment on the success of the lens implant, until the second one is done. Not seeing so great right now!

3 comments:

  1. Oh I totally forgot the date of your eye surgery. So sorry! I was thinking it was quite a bit later. Sounds like your procedure was quite different from mine. I wish I would be having my other one soon. I have an appointment in a week or two, but I don't think they will operate so soon. Your photographs are very good. I never knew all the information you gave. It's a fascinating looking building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have passed the first hurdle, good job DOTH is able to drive now, I assume she is fully recovered from her op. I am one of those male babies, I hate the thought of anyone fiddling around with my eyes. I am nowhere near having mine done yet, they will not consider it here until you are virtually blind.
    Nice pictures, your phone has a good camera in it and a good camera person behind it.
    Hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pleased the op appeared to go well, Kathy. I do hope you're feeling better soon and that the outcome is good.

    What an interesting shaped building - where there other buildings around it once that it squeezed between? x

    ReplyDelete