Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Copycat!


I received this sweet greeting card in the mail a few days ago.



It's from a dear friend with whom I have breakfast every six weeks or so. We spend a couple of hours (sometimes more!) at Cora's - where they have an amazing and healthy breakfast menu.
This  is one of my favourites!

As I usually do with any greeting cards I receive, I placed it on the mantel over the fireplace for a few days.

The message inside says, "Let's get together soon!"  So I guess I was concentrating on the message rather than the artwork. But as I walked by it one day, I took a second look at the picture, and I was amazed (and still am) by the simplicity of the lines that created such a pleasant picture.

I am no artist. I am basically a copycat. To draw something from my imagination takes huge effort and a less than pleasing outcome. But this looks so simple to do that I have determined I am going to try and create a picture using those kind of simplistic lines.

But first...I decided to copy it, to get the feel of the design and the lines:



My table and chairs definitely look a little wobbly, but I think, in copying it, I managed to gain an understanding  of this style of drawing.

Don't hold your breath, but I am going to try a creation of my own - sometime soon, I hope! 



2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing your new art. I have actually been trying to do the same type of thing. I find I grip my pen or pencil way too tightly but if I don't my lines get shaky. I think your copy is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simple but elegant. Keep it up it is looking good. I remember this style from the late fifties early sixties very Parisian. It was used a lot in posters, adverts and greetings cards around that time. If you watch old 60s movies, like the early Pink Panther movies for instance, you will find the credits are done in this style.

    ReplyDelete