Thursday, April 28, 2011

Adding Insult to Injury

Today we received the tail end of the massive tornadoes that demolished huge parts of the southern States. I am so grateful that that there was little damage in our area, and my heart goes out to those people in the south who not only lost their homes but family members also (over 300 people died).

So I am feeling a little like Jonah today, who grieved over the fact that the Juniper tree he was resting under withered up. The Lord chastised him saying, in essence, "You grieve over a tree and not over the thousands who could have perished..."

I am grieving for those who died in Alabama, but I am feeling sad about my lilac tree, too -- it became a victim of the winds today. Most likely it was because of the 'tidying up' my nieghbours did of their garden the other day - left it defenceless against the winds.

This is what it looked like just a few months ago, after a huge snowfall:

a thing of beauty.


This is all that's left of it today:


Funny thing is, DOTH and I were just talking, a couple of weeks ago, about pruning it at the end of the season. Between the neighbours and the wind, it got pruned with a vengeance!

3 comments:

  1. Even the weather has got it in for your poor trees. Terrible how so many disasters have occurred so regularly recently, both natural and politically. I don't know if you heard, I only discovered it by mistake *, but someone got married over here yesterday which seems to have taken our media's mind off the rest of the world somewhat.
    (*The mistake was switching on the TV during the last few months)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wouldn't believe, snafu, how excited Canadians have been over the wedding....even to the point of getting up at 5:00am to view it! I am up early anyway, so got to see some of the ceremony just before the signing of the register.

    I think it is great for the UK, and many other parts of the world, to have something positive to enjoy for a change - as an antithesis to the disasters etc that have grieved us so much in the last little while. DOTH went to a wedding party last night, where they all wore their 'fascinators,' ate cucumber sandwiches and 'cream teas' and watched the whole of the wedding on tape! She really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what is happening to blogger, but all your posts from here on have not appeared on my dashboard reminder, so I have missed most of them. The cardinal photos are wonderful -- and I did wonder about you and the tornadoes. Blogger was out almost all of yesterday, so I'm not sure what else I have missed.

    ReplyDelete