Sunday, July 11, 2010

Double Celebration

It had to happen sooner or later:

OG (only grandson) just turned 13, and is launched into the minefield of the dreaded teenage years, and if you were a typical teen you will remember what that means: moving from "Ugh, I HATE girls!" to acne, the voice change, the attitude change, etc, etc. 



And YG (youngest granddaughter)just turned Sweet Sixteen and thus reached the Point of No Return. No turning back to those cutsie childhood ways of "Ugh, I HATE boys!" or "No way would I ever kiss a boy!" Now it is: "Yay, now I can drive!!" and "Dad, can I have the car tonight?" etc, etc.



Don't get me wrong -- they are GREAT kids, and we are believing they will remain that way -- forever. But one must be practical.

Anyway, we celebrated them both yesterday and it was a wonderful time. DOOTH (Daughter Out Of The House) and BSIL (Beloved Son-In-Law) hosted the day -- which was brave of them since they now have a 16 year-old, and would probably have preferred to recuperate.

It was perfect pool weather: 30C and almost the whole family was there, along with a couple of YG's hunky male friends (they don't make 16 year-olds today like they did in my day - although come to think of it, it's probably just that I didn't ever attract the hunky kind).

All the kids had an awesome time in the pool:


Did I say kids?

The biggest kid of all (BSIL) had a whale of a time:



sent everyone scurrying out of the pool with his "cannon balls"







I understand that the idea was to see if he could send the splashes all the way up to the bedroom windows. Yes, those of us who were sitting beneath them can testify -- after a dozen or more tries, he did!

I also understand that his sciatica is really acting up today.

4 comments:

  1. Cool pool!
    The sad thing about kids is that you only ever get about twelve years or so of holidays together after that they don't want to be seen with mum, dad or granparents until they have kids of their own - then they want you around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure that Yorkshire does hunks, unless I'm like you and never attracted them! Congratulations to both those youngsters - with two teenagers and one soon-to-be in the house I empathise totally with their parents!!

    By the way, Kathy, thanks for your comment on my deleted post - it was encouraging. I've been hacked for the second time this year...I deleted the post in the end because I didn't want to give them the satisfaction of knowing I was troubled by it! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strangely, Snafu, YG aged 16 is still very happy to be a part of family and special occasions. It's OG aged 13 who is just beginning to make his slightly negative feelings known about those things.

    Sorry about the hackings, Elizabeth. Some people just don't know what to do with their time -- except make life miserable for others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Sounds like you all had a good time. Trouble is the years never stop passing.

    ReplyDelete