Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Business and Pleasure in Winnipeg

DOTH and I took a business trip to Winnipeg -- well, it was my business, but she came along to keep me company. Good reason for that. We must explain, rather sheepishly, that although both of us have travelled many countries of the world, the only other province we have ever visited, besides our home province of Ontario, is Quebec.


(Winnipeg, from the Red River)

So, it was a novelty for us to visit Manitoba. We had a super time. Even the business end of it was great, and I will save that for another post. But one of our favourite activities there was to tour the Mennonite Village of Neubergthal.

Mennonites were terribly persecuted for their beliefs in the Nederlands, so they fled for their lives to first Poland, then Russia and ultimately, in the 1870s, to North America - specifically to the new province of Manitoba.

The village runs along a single street, and is one of the best-preserved Mennonite villages in North America. It is in the process of being restored. You can read all about it, and see more of the buildings here

We visited the Friesen Housebarn Interpretive Centre:


Margruite Khan was our guide. I believe she spearheads the restoration, and she was busy at work when we arrived, but took time to walk us through the centre.



The blue accents throughout the house reminded me of Romania. The Mennonites liked to use blue as a symbol of heaven (himmel).



All the furniture was, of course, handmade, and you can see three hand-made clocks in the photo above - beautiful work.



The kitchen.




The old rocking horse


The spinning wheel

I guess you had to be there to really appreciate the home's rustic beauty, but what I would really like you to see are the beautiful quilts:


the Friendship Quilt



One for Grandma


One for the baby


And my favourite - the butterfly quilt



We went into the attached barn - still used today for community meetings


We listened to the preacher from the bleachers

Passed the outhouse (too cute!)

And then Margruite (yes, that is how she spells her name) took us to her art studio in the barn's loft.

She is a terrific artist (I think). We felt privileged to view her paintings.


She especially enjoys painting trees, and if you especially like trees, you will appreciate more of her renditions here on her website.  But be sure to visit each page  - all of her paintings are awesome, and her story is there, too.

More about our Winnipeg trip next time...and more, very unusual quilts!

2 comments:

  1. WOW!What a fantastic place. I love the ethos of Mennonite living and, of course, John Wesley was heavily influenced by them during his time in America...hence the Methodist use of the colour blue, too.

    I love those quilts...but then you knew I would!The handkerchief quilts are making a comeback now that people widely use tissues and that friendship quilt is just beautiful - such delicate colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some beautiful nooks and crannies,places and pieces here. I haven't been visiting because I figured you were deep into 'the book' still. Nice that DOTH could go with you. Glyn is away on Lake Powell, so I am baby sitting their cats. That is, I go in every two days. Barry returns tomorrow. I'm still visiting the shelter. Vertigo still around (no pun intended) but I'm coping.

    ReplyDelete