Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Philanthropy = Love for Mankind

No, this isn't a blog for ABC Wednesday. But I got to thinking about philanthropy after DOTH and I went out for a walk last Sunday afternoon.
 (Philanthropy comes from the Greek, meaning "love for mankind.")

We came across this park, off to the side of a busy Scarborough road:


This is the plaque in the entrance:



In case you can't read it (you could click on it), at the bottom it says,
"...to be maintained in perpetuity as a quiet restful detour."

And I thought -- what a wonderful thing to do!
 
It appears that Rosetta McClain left a sum of money in her will to be used to provide this garden for the people of Toronto...and her husband and son made sure that's exactly what happened.
 
 

And the City of Toronto is doing its part in maintaining the quiet, restful atmosphere.

It is a beautiful place. We didn't have too much time to enjoy it all, but we will be back. This is what we did get to see:

It was an afternoon for trees:


Well, this lampost is not exactly a tree, but it is getting to look like one!



And this one looks like it has the weight of the world on its shoulders - perhaps carrying all those burdens visitors to the park are leaving behind?


These trees are all tied up in knots


but they decorate the trellis beautifully.



This one is so stately - overlooking the fountain on one side and Lake Ontario on the other.



This one almost disguises the apartment block!



A mushroom tree...



...how odd!



A crab-apple tree




And a dandelion...


almost as big as a tree! 


This fellow (far left) snuck out of the trees...



,,,in broad daylight!



And look...can you see it?

A baby owl up in the tree
looking down on me...
 -- just one of a family.

I was so excited - my first, real live owl. But I was so frustrated, too. There was a nest of them, but they were so high up, this was the best I could do with my dinky camera. Well, dinky compared to the lady standing next to me. She had a telescopic lens attached to hers that was at least 18" long - you should have seen the photos she captured -- I am SO envious, but at least I have proof that I saw it!



A few more shots of the winding paths...





and it was time to head home -- but we WILL be back.
I google-searched the park and discovered it is a haven for bird-watchers. I'll be bringing the binoculors next time.

Bless you, Rosetta McClain, for blessing Toronto, and especially Scarborough, by creating this beautiful detour away from the hustle and bustle of life .
And for being a philanthropist -- a lover of mankind!

3 comments:

  1. Just my kind of place! Fancy seeing a raccoon in broad daylight! I'd settle for seeing one at night. Really nice photos of one of my favorite subjects: trees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice idea and it seems to have worked. Your camera seems to be ok judging by your pictures. I wonder how many times during the park’s lifetime they have had to update the notice, as new trendy ways of making a nuisance of yourself become fashionable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks a lovely haven of peace and tranquility. Fancy seeing both an owl and a racoon in broad daylight. That lampost had me fooled for a moment and I love those shots of the mushrooms. x

    ReplyDelete