Saturday, May 8, 2010

Catching Up

I began to panic a little. Hadn't worked on the book (not mine, but one I've been assigned to write) for a number of weeks. So many things crowding in and seeming more important -- but deadlines loom and stress was setting in.

I'd heard about a Catholic retreat centre about an hour away -- came well recommended. So I packed a wee suitcase, loaded up a bankers box with all my research, articles, notes etc -- took along my laptop and headed out.

It was slow week there, so the sisters had reserved the cottage for me at a very reasonable price. I was pleasantly surprised:


It was SO cute!
And I had it all to myself!



A tiny kitchen with everything necessary (meals were provided anyway, in the dining hall)


A comfy little bedroom with an on-suite bathroom



I'm glad I had anticipated there probably wouldn't be desk, so I had loaded up a folding table -
lots of room for it, and great to spread out all my stuff.
(my suitcase is underneath it to rest my feet on.)

Got TONS of writing done -- 21 hours solid, over three days. Feeling a little less stressed now!

And when I needed a break there were acres and acres of beautifully maintained lawns and walkways to explore, in every direction:



It was pretty isolated. The 'big house' was up a hill, a few hundred yards away - not so serious in the daytime, but it was a bit spooky by myself in the cottage at night -- especially in a thunderstorm with the lights threatening to go out, and 80km per hour winds roaring through the trees all around!

But morning came and the sun came with it... and I and the cottage still intact.

The sisters were very sweet and so very accommodating. I think I'll be back!

Oh, I almost forgot -- don't you just love this painting, hanging in the cottage living room:


(you might need to click, to enlarge and get the full effect)

It's called "The Cardinal's Portrait"
by Toby E. Rosenthal

Love it!




5 comments:

  1. What a lovely writer's retreat, Kathy. I'm so pleased you were able to get some good work done. That painting is delightful - that friar looks so perplexed as to how to paint the sleeping cardinal.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like bliss, Kay. I wondered where you had been, but then I was slow in posting and commenting too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds nice, but what a scary storm!
    I love the picture, someone with a sly sense of humour thought that one up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a cute idyllic place!!

    I love the funny cardinal picture. There was actually a whole art genre around cardinals in the 1800's. Look up "Jehan Gorges Vibert" if you have some spare time and you'll be in for a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute, idyllic place, With I was there.

    I love the funny cardinal picture. There was actually a whole art genre around cardinals in the 1800's. Look up "Jehan Gorges Vibert cardinals" on google images if you have some spare time and you'll be in for a laugh.

    ReplyDelete