Wednesday, July 1, 2009

So, Rocky -- THIS is what you get for raiding my bird feeder!

In the east end of Toronto on Monday, a raccoon was caught in some binding wire used to hold overhead cable TV wires together.

'Rocky the raccoon' was left hanging overhead for nearly three hours in distress before getting the help he needed, due to the civic workers strike which also affects animal services.

Neighbours say they called animal services as soon as they noticed the animal was struggling, but were told it was not an emergency situation due to the strike, and the call was put into queue.

The raccoon was finally rescued by Toronto Animal Services, along with the help of Toronto Hydro workers.

(You can watch the rescue here. Click on the video on right hand side of page - you'll have to watch a short ad first)


I must confess, watching the rescue on TV (yes, they must be REALLY short of news items these day), that I did feel a little sorry for Rocky. But I can’t say I haven’t envisioned something like this happening to him, after all the hassles he’s given us since the beginning of spring.

Do you think he's learned his lesson? Nah -- he’ll be back at my bird feeder in no time at all.

(More about that continuing civic workers strike, and the stink it's creating, in my next blog)

3 comments:

  1. Oh goodness! I know he was being a nuisance but I couldn't bear to watch him for three hours before he was rescued. Not even my squirrels deserve that. They, by the way, have been at Henrietta again. I'm afraid I will have to bring her inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? This happened with the racoon that you know? Wow... I watch his gettine rescued too, ohhh.. poor little creature! I am glad he is safa now. How about your bird feeder? Safe???
    Al.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, no, Al -- it really wasn't the REAL Rocky, the one who was raiding our bird feeder -- but it could have been! I wouldn't be so cruel to wish that on him -- but sometimes they can be VERY annoying!

    Yes, our bird feeder seems to be safe for now, because we bring it in the house every night before going to bed. Inconvenient, but it keeps it safe from the raccoons, who only come out in the late evening.

    ReplyDelete