Friday, December 5, 2008

It's a Record!

We had our Christmas decorations up well before the end of November, this year -- first time ever!
DOTH (daughter of the house) and I had only one free weekend before Christmas to get it done, so we took advantage of it. And I must say, it's rather wonderful to think that we don't have to take it all down for at least another four weeks!
The display on the bay window is DOTH'S favourite -- especially the little village and skating pond (the snow is slightly overdone!). When it's turned on, the skaters waltz around the rink to Christmas carols.
The grandchildren are growing up quickly, so we may not have too many more years where we all enjoy the candy-cane snowmen. The miniature Christmas tree lights up and twirls around. (I'm dreaming of a white Christmas -- but not too white!)
The creche, the most important of all our decorations (the reason for the season), is over 30 years old, and I treasure it. One of the camels has his leg taped up, but still proudly holds his head up high. Every year when I take him out of the box, I think, "I must write a children's story about the camel with the broken leg, who faithfully watches over baby Jesus every year." Then in January, I put him away again, apologizing to him for not getting it done! The "Let there be Light" Christmas card was sent to us by my sister back in 1985 and has a place of honour every year beside the creche, announcing the arrival of the Light of the world.
The Christmas cactus is beginning to open up and should be in full bloom by Christmas Day!
Finally, although it really has nothing to do with Christmas, I did find this lovely bargain while Christmas shopping -- a cast-iron miniature bird-bath which cost me all of $4.00!

1 comment:

  1. I recognized the card immediately, but I also recognized the little wren of which I have the twin, given to me by MY sister. We bought them at that pretty English village whose name I forget as it is 3:40 AM and I can't sleep, but must go back and try again if I want to get to church in the morning.

    ReplyDelete