Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Happier Times

Although my days in Goole were not particularly happy ones, there were some occasions that brought joy.

For example, our Sunday afternoon drives into the country. Sometimes we would pack a picnic lunch, bring along a blanket and head out across the Yorkshire Moors. We could travel the roads for miles through luscious heather-covered hills that would open up to panoramic vistas of the moors. Then suddenly the road would descend into a picturesque, tiny village tucked away at the bottom.

Or sometimes we would find a quiet country lane and pull off to the side of the road, where we would picnic on the blanket. For my parents, who were 'on call' 24 hours a day, six and a half days a week in the hotel, this afternoon trip was a time of sweet relaxation for them.

Ah, forty winks! Blessed rest for my mom. And yes! We even had sun-roofs in those days!

My sister Chris got married in Goole, in 1959. I was the one and only bridesmaid -- that's me, to the left of Barry, the groom. My mom is to the left of me; my dad is third from the right. Since I was a real tomboy at that time, I wasn't too happy about wearing that fancy orange organza dress!

Having my sister around once-in-a-while was always a pleasure for me. She is seven years older than me and had long since moved away from home. I'm not sure of the timing of this, but she, Barry and I did spend a terrific time together once - while I was still living in Goole I think - hiking in the Lake District.

My parents drove me to Keswick, where I met up with Chris and Barry. I waited for them at the foot of this clock tower.

We spent lots of fun hours hiking up and down the hills, and through the quaint little villages around Derwentwater. Sometimes we would get caught in huge downpours of rain that passed over as quickly as they had arrived! Loads of fun! But the black-headed ram wasn't quite as amused.

We actually made it to the top of Mount Skiddaw. I remember hearing that it was 2000 feet high, which doesn't sound so high to me now, but it did seem like a long way up, then! (Wikipedia says it's 3000 feet above sea level)

But we made it! (I'm on the right)

And so did Barry -- more recently known as MOTH (Man of the House)...

and there was nothing better than coming back down to the B & B, after all that hiking, and having a lovely hot mug of Horlicks. Mmmm...yummy!

Next post, we are moving on to holidays on the Norfolk Broads, where I once gave my family a terrible scare!

2 comments:

  1. OH wow! Old memories. It was the top of Skiddaw, by the way. I think we have most of these photos somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chris -- I've made the change - just couldn't remember the name!

    ReplyDelete